What is Kickboxercise?
Based on martial arts, this is a non-contact form of exercise that teaches punches, kicks, elbow strikes, knee strikes and combinations of them all with relevant defences.
What do we hit?
We don't just punch and kick the air in these training sessions, we use strike shields, punch bags and focus pads to safely and effectively teach and practice technique at full power and speed.
What are the benefits for girls?
We've heard of and experienced many ways in which this training can help girls, including:
- Increased confidence and self esteem through learning and developing a new skill.
- Enhanced body awareness and physical capability, together with improved body image. We encourage strength and ability over looks and shape.
- Improved confidence at school, on the street and amongst friends; developed through an ability to better protect and defend themselves.
- Decreased anger and self control issues through the practice and training.
- An enhanced circle of friends from other schools and communities.
Blocks of 8 or 12 sessions can be bought at discounted rates:
£30 for 8 sessions, £40 for 12 sessions or £5 per class for drop in.
Options to progress
There will be 3 or 4 assessments held per year where girls can work towards achieving their Level 1, 2 and 3 Box 4 Fitness Award.
They will receive a certificate, medal and pair of coloured handwraps when they pass their assessment. Each level gives them a certain amount of responsibility in the gym and during training sessions. We work with the girls to enhance their leadership and confidence through this programme.
Who's teaching it?
Rhea Carsmith, qualified and registered Kickboxercise Instructor, DBS checked and insured. Under guidance of Head Instructor Kate Dakers, England Boxing Coach and Child Welfare and Safety Officer for Hebden Bridge Boxing Club.
Where: Classes are held at Hebden Bridge Boxing Club directions here
When: Wednedays 4.30-5.30pm from 15 April.
Contact: Rhea Carsmith 07876 557 379 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
What to wear/bring: please read this